Life's a journey, not a destination.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Who Are You?

Tomorrow marks 150 years since the Civil War started. There was an article about it in the newspaper today, saying that 2 out of 3 Americans had an ancestor who fought in the Civil War. On ancestry.com this week, they are letting people search Civil War documents- for free, I believe. My dad said I have ancestors that came from Virginia. I've found confederate money that was my Grandmother's, as well as money from the Virginia Treasury. So that in turn led me to find my geneology books that I have.

On my dad's paternal side, my only direct ancestory who would have fought paid someone else $15 to be his substitute. I'm not sure about his maternal side yet, as I don't have any geneology records on them just yet. My mom's paternal side did not come here until about 1900. What I found most interesting in that geneology book is that my great-grandparents were first generation Americans when they came over here. So that means that I am a 4th generation American on that side of the family. We hail from Germany. The village where they come from looks beautiful. I actually want to go there someday, because I don't know a lot about that side of the family.

So now, I have a quest. To learn more, discover as much as I can about my ancestry. I want to know where they came from, what they may have done in their lives.

And I pose a question to you. Who are you and where do you come from?

1 comment:

  1. Yay for being the 1 out of the 3! lol. My grandma is first generation American and my grandpa, I believe, was either first or second so definitely no Civil War for us!

    ReplyDelete